Welcome to the EBU online UNCRPD legislative database. Its purpose is threefold:
- To help ensure an effective implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities;
- To provide up-to-date information on specific legislation relevant to blind and partially sighted people in Europe;
- To enable EBU member organisations to record the extent to which their country's legislation provides the rights contained in the Convention.
The database builds upon a set of article statements (see below) developed by EBU. The statements define the needs and characteristics of blind and partially sighted people in relation to the relevant UN Convention articles. Statements have been prepared for 16 articles. Each of these has the same structure:
Section 1 - Reproduction of the relevant Convention article. This text contains references (R1, R2, etc) that relate to the content of Section 3 of the statement.
Section 2 - Declaration of the needs and characteristics of blind and partially sighted people relevant to the Convention article.
Section 3 - Important aspects of the Convention article that relate to the needs and characteristics identified in Section 1.
- EBU can now make available 'A New Look At Our Human Rights', a document explaining the rights enshrined in the CRPD. The document is intended for blind or partially-sighted citizens or others who regularly interact with them. It explains the rights set out in the CRPD and what they mean in practice for people with disabilities and blind and partially sighted people in particular, available in .doc and .pdf formats, also available in doc format in Italian, German, Polish, Croatian and Lithuanian versions.
- Using the data collected, EBU has produced analytical reports on articles 7, 20, 26, 28 and 29 of the uncrpd. These are available by clicking on the relevant articles in the list below.
- Read the Concluding observations on the initial report of the European Union from the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (word doc)
- The European Disability Forum has published its Alternative Report to the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (External link) .
- Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL) Guide to the Marrakesh Treaty in English (External link) , French (External link) , Lithuanian (External link) , Russian (External link) , Arabic (External link) and Serbian (External link) .
This project has been carried out with the support of the EU Commission Progress programme