“Leaving no one behind: EBU driving full inclusion through the SDGs”
with the financial support of Google
The 11th General Assembly of the European Blind Union will be hosted by our Italian member, the Italian Union of the Blind and Partially Sighted (UICI). It will be held at the Mercure Roma West Hotel, 301, viale Eroi di Cefalonia, 00128 Rome, Italy. The Assembly will start on the morning of Monday 28 October and finish at lunchtime on Wednesday 30 October 2019. Most delegates will need therefore to arrive on Sunday 27 October 2019. Each EBU member organisation will receive a personalised invitation with its individual login and password to register participants at the 11th General Assembly. The final date for registering to the 11th EBU General Assembly is 4 October 2019, but it is strongly advisable to register and book accommodation and meals using the online registration form by 30 June 2019.
The main assembly language will be English with simultaneous interpretation to and from French, Italian, German and Russian.
In conjunction with the Assembly, the 2019 EBU TechFair will be held at the Mercure Hotel from Sunday 27 October to Wednesday 30 October.
The details of the hotel where the Assembly will be held and participants will be accommodated are as follows:
301, viale Eroi di Cefalonia, 00128 Rome, Italy
+39 06 5083 4111
+39 06 5083 4701
The hotel has a wellness center, indoor heated swimming pool, hydromassage, Turkish bath, a modern equipped fitness room and a large indoor parking.
From Rome Fiumicino airport:
Shuttle buses and non-stop train Leonardo Express connects directly Rome Fiumicino airport to Rome Termini train station, from where take metro line B until the EUR Fermi station. From there take bus 705 (final destination Piermarini) and get off at Cefalonia/Giordano stop.
From Rome Ciampino airport:
shuttle buses operate between Ciampino airport and Rome Termini train station. From there, please see the above indications.
Our hotel cooperates with the main taxi company 3570.
3570 rate: from/to Fiumicino/Ciampino to/from Mercure hotel: 40,00 euros to be paid to the hotel
To take advantage of the above mentioned rate, please ask at the reception at your arrival/departure. The hotel’s staff will issue you a voucher to be handed to the driver.
From Termini or Tiburtina station take metro line B until EUR Fermi station. From there take bus 705 (final destination Piermarini) and get off at Cefalonia/Giordano stop.
From GRA (Rome Ring):
Exit 26: Direction Latina-Pomezia (S.S.148 Pontina).
Exit Spinaceto Sud – Tor de Cenci, with direct access to Viale Eroi di Cefalonia.
From EUR area:
From Via C. Colombo proceed towards Latina-Pomezia (S.S.148 Pontina).
Exit Spinaceto Sud – Tor de Cenci, with direct access to viale Eroi di Cefalonia.
By private car with driver (to be booked at the hotel)
Upon previous request:
HTL/FCO-CPO € 40,00
FCO-CPO/HTL € 45,00
HTL/CITY CENTER’ € 40,00
CITY CENTER/HTL € 45,00
The above mentioned rates are valid from 07:00 am to 9:00 pm. Minivan/Bus are available with supplement.
Sunday 27 October
- 16:00 - 18:00 Meeting of the outgoing Board
- 17:30 - 19:30 Registration
Monday 28 October
- 07:00 - 08:50 Registration
- 09:00 - 10:45 Opening,
Moderator: Wolfgang Angermann, EBU President
- 09:00 - 09:20 - Welcomes - Wolfgang Angermann, UICI, EDF, WBU, ICEVI-Europe, and authorities of the hosting country
- 09:20 - 09:50
- Report by Credentials Committee
- Roll call
- Approval of Programme
- Appointment of scrutineers
- Appointment of Resolutions Committee
- First Report of Nominations Committee
- 09:50 - 10:10 Board report, Wolfgang Angermann, EBU President
- 10:10 - 10:45 Treasurer’s report, Philippe Chazal
- 10:45 - 11:15 Coffee Break
- 11:15 - 12:15 Keynote Presentations “Leaving no one behind: EBU driving full inclusion through the SDGs”
- Haydn Hammersley, European Disability Forum
- Thorkild Olesen, President Danish Association of the Blind
- Q & A
- 12:15 - 13:00 Presentation of strategic orientation proposal for the term of office 2019-2023, Bárbara Martín Muñoz, EBU Second Vice-President and Mokrane Boussaïd, EBU Executive Director
- 13:00 - 14:30 Lunch
- 14:30 - 15:15 Discussion in the plenary of the strategic orientation proposal, Bárbara Martín Muñoz, EBU Second Vice-President and Mokrane Boussaïd, EBU Executive Director
- 15:15 - 16:00 Amending the constitution - Wolfgang Angermann, EBU President
- 16:00 - 16:30 Coffee break
- 16:30 - 18:00 Sustainable Development Goal #3 - Good Health and Well-Being
Moderator: Ann Jönsson, EBU Board Member
- Rare diseases, LHON, Vanessa dos Reis Ferreira, Head of Patient Advocacy Europe, Santhera Pharmaceuticals
- Eye care and health, Nicolas Van Mele, Director Finance, HR & Operations, MedTech Europe
- Non-24 sleep wake disorder, Ken O'Reilly, Head of Advocacy Europe, Vanda Pharmaceuticals
- Q & A
Tuesday 29 October
- 09:00 - 09:15 Second and last report of the Nominations Committee
- 09:15 - 10:45 Sustainable Development Goal #9 - Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
Moderator: Mario Barbuto, EBU Board Member
- Internet: emerging technologies opportunities and challenges for persons with disabilities, Alejandro Moledo, Policy Coordinator on Accessibility, European Disability Forum
- Google Accessibility from A-Z - Kyndra LoCoco, Partner and Community Programs Manager, Google Accessibility
- The Pascal Project: impact of Connected and Automated Vehicles on the visually impaired, Doctor Guillaume Gronier, Researcher, Psychology, Cognitive Ergonomics & User Experience, Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST)
- Q & A
- 10:45 - 11:15 Coffee break
- 11:15 - 12:30 Sustainable Development Goal #8 - Decent Work and Economic Growth
Moderator: Alberto Durán López, 1st Vice-President for Institutional Coordination, Solidarity and External Relations of ONCE.
- Report of the study “Blind and partially sighted people’s employment situation”, Beatriz Martinez and Bárbara Martín Muñoz, ONCE
- 2018 Best Practice award in Employment: the UK experience, Martin O’KANE, UK Employment Service RNIB (tbc)
- Q & A
- 12:30 - 13:00 Voting
- 13:00 - 14:30 Lunch
- 14:30 - 15:30 Sustainable Development Goal #5 - Gender Equality
Moderator: Tiina Nummi-Södergren, Swedish Association of the Visually Impaired
- GEAR project - Karin Hjalmarson, Swedish Association of the Visually Impaired, Stefanie Steinbauer, Officer for International Cooperation, Austrian Federation of the Blind
- Q & A
- 15:30 - 16:00 Coffee break
- 16:00 - 17:15 Sustainable Development Goal #4 - Quality Education
Moderator: Alexander Neumyvakin, EBU First Vice-President
- Recommendations of the EBU Braille Teaching and Literacy project including the LEGO initiative, John Heilbrunn, Danish Association of the Blind.
- The Marrakesh Treaty, Antoine Fobe EBU Head of Campaigning
- Accessibility of international exchanges for visually impaired students, Francesca Sbianchi, EByouth Activity Leader
- Q & A
- 17:15 - 17:30 Election Results
- 17:30 - 18:00 Information about possible relocation of the EBU office, Wolfgang Angermann, EBU President
- 20:00 - Gala Dinner, including Vision For Equality awards
Wednesday 30 October
- 09:00 - 09:30 Team Talk from the Office
- 09:30 - 10:45 Sustainable Development Goal #16 - Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
Moderator: Sinan Tafaj, EBU Board Member
- Raising awareness on Accessible Voting: the AVA report - Benedikt Van den Boom (tbc)
- Accessible Voting in the EU - Martha Stickings, Policy Officer for political participation at Fundamental Rights Agency of the EU (tbc)
- Electronic Voting in Estonia - Jakob Rosin (tbc)
- Accessible elections: the Dutch experience - Daan de Kort (tbc)
- Q &A
- 10:45 - 11:15 Coffee break
- 11:15 - 13:00 Closing - Moderator: Maria Kyriacou, EBU Secretary General
- 11:15 - 12:00 Report of Resolutions Committee
- 12:00 - 12:15 Sustainable Development Goal 17 - Partnerships for the Goals: Continuity of the movement
Mokrane Boussaïd, EBU Executive Director
- 12:15 - 12:30 Closing remarks by the EBU President including the proposals for Honorary Life Membership,
Wolfgang Angermann, EBU President
- 12:30 - 12:45 Address by the new President of EBU
- 12:45 - 13:00 Thanks and close
- Departure in the afternoon
- 14:00 - 16:00 - Meeting of the incoming Board
2019 EBU/UICI TechFair
Date and time: October 27 - 30, 2019. The exhibition opens on 27 October in the afternoon and close on 30 October at 14:00. Exhibitors can assemble their stand from 08:00 on 27 October and dissemble it until 18:00 on 30th October.
Venue: Mercure Roma West Hotel, 301, viale Eroi di Cefalonia, 00128 Rome, Italy, +39 06 5083 4111, +39 06 5083 4701
Exhibition space: Please note that the standard offer includes a table (1.75 x 0.75 m or 0.50 m), 2 chairs, power supply and 4 mega/s downloading speed wifi at a cost of 500 euros. As we are expecting a high number of requests, exhibition stands will be subject to availability. Any other requirements regarding stands have to be mentioned in the registration form. Please note that additional materials and certain services could involve a fee and can be subject to availability.
Accommodation for exhibitors: please note that the Mercure hotel has a limited number of rooms. We will do our best to accommodate you in this hotel, should this be impossible, we will propose other hotel options and you will have to book your accommodation yourself.
Gala Dinner: the Italian Union of the Blind and Partially Sighted is glad to invite two persons from each exhibiting firm to the Gala Dinner on 29 October 2019.
For further information please contact the Italian Union of the Blind and Partially Sighted at firstname.lastname@example.org.